There is something about the look of even the simplest chess set that is just so pleasing to the eye. Perhaps it is the contrast and angularity of the black and white squares on the board, or maybe it's the intricate details of the carvings in each of the pieces. When set up in just the right spot in any room, it can immediately draw the eyes of anyone who walks in.
It is because of this sheer beauty of the classic chess set that so many people opt to use it as a decorative element in their homes. It doesn't even matter whether they are any good at playing the game. As a matter of fact, there are plenty of people who have chess sets on display who don't even have the slightest idea how to play but this will not stop them from beautifying their home with something that is obviously considered to be a piece of art.
There is no doubt that a properly arranged chess set can improve the aura of any space but before you run to the attic to dust off that old set that you had inherited from an uncle and had never used, you should also realize that there are also a few drawbacks to using chess pieces as decorations. Following are just some of these potential problems that should be brought to mind:
- Cleaning the pieces can be a chore. There are 32 pieces to a chess set and all these pieces would each be standing on a square on the board if you are going to use them as display. Needless to say, these pieces can collect dust over time. The more intricate the carvings, the harder it will be to get rid of the dust. Quite ironically, these more intricate ones are the ones that are more suitable for putting on display. If you live in a place where dust seems to grow on furniture daily, then cleaning your chess pieces can certainly eat up a lot of your time.
- There is a constant risk of falling and breaking if you have kids or pets around. We all know how rambunctious young kids can be. They are frequently running around the house and looking for things to play with. For sure, chess pieces on display would provide hours of entertainment for these youngsters. Not only will your chess set be perennially at risk of falling to the floor but pieces can get lost as well.
- Decorative sets can be fragile. You don't really need to buy an expensive chess set for the purpose of making a room look better - ordinary ones can just as easily improve the appearance of any space for as long as you set them up properly. When placed on a nice table and with the addition of other interesting pieces beside it, a regular wooden chess set can instantly turn into an amazing focal point in a room. But if you really want to buy those chess sets that are specifically made for display, like special glass ones or novelty sets that are made of marble or some kind of precious metal, you would need to be extra careful with them because they tend to be fragile and may break very easily.
- Of course, these are just some things to think about before using a chess set for decoration. If you can get around these issues, then there is no reason that should hinder you from making your living room or den more elegant and stylish with these game pieces. Furthermore, using a chess set as part of your room's decor does come with a number of advantages as well. Following are some of the most notable ones:
- The cultural and aesthetic value of your room will instantly rise a few notches. As mentioned, chess sets have something about them that exudes elegance, warmth, and culture. Whether you decide to display them in the living room, the bedroom, or even the front porch, the area will definitely benefit from a significant increase in appearance.
- Chess sets can become a precious family heirloom. If you currently don't have a set suitable for display and are interested in buying one, you can take the opportunity to get a really good set that will not only sit prettily in your home but that can also be passed on to future generations as a family heirloom. For this purpose, it would be better to look at antique shops or specialty auctions, where you are much more likely to find a worthy set than if you just pick one from the local department store.
- For ideas on how to properly use chess sets as room decor, you can leaf through interior decorating magazines or check out interior decorating sites online.
Up To $1500 Quick Loan Online. No Hassle. Fast Instant Approval. Withdraw Your Cash. Get Cash Fast Today!
Rating of emergency cash loan
Get Online Application at online payday loans.